Features of the new breed of sheep in serbia called mis sheep 2. fattening and meat characteristics of lambs
AuthorsPetrović, Milan P.
Caro Petrović, Violeta
Ilić, Zoran Z.
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
In this paper, the results of fattening and meat characteristics of lambs of the new breed of sheep in Serbia, called Mis sheep, are presented. Mis breed as a meaty type of sheep, has been developed for the past 20 years at the Institute of Animal Husbandry, Belgrade-Zemun. The total and daily gains in 1-30 days were of 7.5 kg and 250 g, and in 61-90 days the growth dynamics was even higher by 60% with the total gain of over 12 kg; the daily value exceeded 400 g. Food consumption, calculated in units of energy, was about 13.5 MJ with a slightly larger share of concentrate in the mass of gain of lambs. The dressing percentage of lambs at the age of three months was about 59%. In addition, the highest percentage of carcass meat was of the first category, followed by the meat of the second category and the lowest representation of the third category of meat. Muscle tissue had an absolute advantage over the other tissues and accounted for over 57%, followed by fat, bone and connective tiss...ue, which accounted for the remaining 43% of the weight of three rib pattern. Mis sheep population, similar to the known foreign meat breeds, has a little more fat, which influences the better technological and sensory properties.
Keywords:Fattening / Lambs / Meat characteristics / Mis sheep / New breed
Source:Veterinarija ir Zootechnika, 2014, 68, 90, 69-72
- An Environmental Approach and the Adoption of Modern Biotechnologies as a Basis for Improvement of Ruminant Breeding Technology (RS-31001)
- Implementation of new biotechnological solution in breeding of cattle, sheep and goats for the purpose of obtaining biologically valuable and safe food (RS-31053)